Much improved employee bulk create / update tool!
At Kitikiti HRM, we intend to give the smoothest onboarding experience to our customers. With a new HRM, it's always daunting to set it up, and to start inserting employees into the system. Consider:
- Certain HRMs are not localized to your location. For example, not all countries use Social Security Number.
- Or perhaps the HRM is localized. But your company is too cool, and it gives everyone a company T-Shirt upon joining. Unfortunately, there's no way to track everyone's T-Shirt size on the HRM. Bummer.
- Or perhaps, the HRM does allow you to create a custom employee data type like T-Shirt size. But to key in all of them, one by one for each employee? Please don't.
We constantly bombard our minds with the scenarios above, building features to anticipate such requirements:
- Need localization? We now support Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines and Malaysia, with more localizations coming!
- Need to create a custom employee data type? We have Personal Data Types for that!
- Need to bulk create employees? We have Employee Bulk Create for that. Just supply a list of employee emails and names and you're good to go!
But there's something missing. You could possibly bulk create employees using emails and names, but we don't offer more than that. You can't bulk create employees along with employee data types specific to your company.
Or in English - you can't simply upload any employee list you have lying around and hope any HRM can process all that data magically into the system.
Well now you can with Kitikiti HRM. And more.
You can basically:
- Upload any list with your employee data. Yes - that Excel where you keep a list of employees including their standard and additional attributes such as full names, emails, highest Counter Strike kills, T-Shirt size and favorite pizza topping.
- Either map those attributes to existing employee data types provided by our localization, or create entirely new ones!
- We know you still love Excel. You can always redownload the employee data in Kitikiti HRM, mass update, insert new attributes, create new employees and sync them back
First step is to just come up with a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file. Any spreadsheet software worth its salt is able to save data into a CSV file e.g Excel, OpenOffice, Google Sheets etc. There are only two conditions for the CSV file:
- CSV file must have headers / column names for the first row.
- CSV file must have at least one header designated for employee email
Go to Administration > Employees, and click on the Bulk Create / Update button.
Choose the CSV file and upload it.
At this point Kitikiti HRM will inspect the CSV file and figure out the employees and all the attributes you're trying to put into the system. This is where the headers are important. Kitikiti HRM will do the following given each header:
- If there's an existing employee data type resembling the header, the header is mapped to it. For example, a header of 'Email' will be mapped to the existing 'Work Email' data type in Kitikiti HRM
- If there's nothing in Kitikiti HRM that resembles the header, Kitikiti HRM doesn't set any mapping and you can manually tweak it later
You will then be presented with another screen listing the headers from the uploaded CSV file and their predefined mappings, if any.
Under the 'Processing type', you can refine these further:
- Update employee data type
- You need to choose from a list of existing employee data types
- Create employee data type
- You need to specify the name of the new employee data type to be created, and to which the header data will be mapped to
- No action
- The header data will not be processed. Useful in case your employee list CSV happens to have headers / columns you don't need to be processed into Kitikiti HRM
Once you've tweaked the processing for each header, simply click on 'Process' and Kitikiti HRM will:
- Create new employees, if it's a new email address
- Update existing employees, if it's an existing email address within Kitikiti HRM
- Populate the applicable employee attributes from the CSV into Kitikiti HRM
When all that is done, you will receive an email complete with the logs of employee creations / updates.
Note that the processing will try to move on to the next employee / attribute update in case if there's an error, instead of stopping abruptly or aborting the operation totally. You can inspect the logs and make the necessary adjustments and simply try again.
Finally, your skills as the Excel God are not wasted. If you need to mass update employees in Kitikiti HRM, you can use Excel for that. Simply go to Administration > Employees, and click 'Download'.
You will get your employee data, ready to be opened in Excel (or any spreadsheet software), for you to work on.
- Emptying out / deleting an employee's attribute, for example - clearing off his / her birthdate
- Deleting employees. We hope you would never have to do so in bulk!
Moving forward we intend to introduce more mappable employee data types such as:
* Employee's annual salary
* Employee's manager
* Employee's leave balances
Till then, that's all for the new Bulk Create / Update feature. Go on, be that hero!
We will be more than happy to assist you with your company's setup, and we'll also throw in 2 months of free usage!
No credit card required for signup, and no annoying demo appointment to be set. You get to use it immediately upon signup.
Try out Kitikiti HRM at your own pace - and you can always contact us via the support chat widget.
Even if you decide not to use payroll - the leave and expense modules are FREE to use, regardless of the your company size.
Finally, if you have 10 or less employees on payroll - guess what - everything is FREE! We want to grow with you!